Thursday, June 3, 2010

Grass is greener?

Lately I have been receiving comments, daily, about what I wear to work.

Not negative comments.
Compliments.

But I don't know how to react to compliments.
Its a strange sensation.

Of course the pessimist in me reads between the lines and thinks that I must of dressed terribly before.

I worked in a conservative corporate industry.
Skirt suits were a requirement.
Stockings mandatory.
Heels a must.
Hair and make-up to be kept in a classic fashion.
and I grew to detest it.
At first it was fun, playing dress ups.
But, the novelty wore off when the boss used the uniform to stare down my blouse.
All I wanted to do in winter was wear my uggs to the office.

Now I work in a very non-corporate industry.
Sure, suit up for meetings
But jeans and uggs will suffice.
Lately I have felt the urge to crack out the heels.
I don't know what exactly happened to make me feel the need to snazz up my style.
Losing 15kgs probably plays a role in it
[even though I have yo-yo'ed the last 4-5kgs for the last few months]
I feel more confident in tailored pants.
My boots now fit my cankles AND over the top of jeans too!

But it's not just the weight and the new clothes.

I think it comes back to you always want what you don't have.
I used to want flats and denim, now I want heels and suits.

The grass is always greener.

No comments:

Post a Comment